I recently reshared this article from Feminist Mormon Housewives on Google+. Trying to help add a little humor and encourage people to chill out, seemed to backfire generally. In addition to the over 400 comments that article received, I got quite a few (for me) on my Google+ post. I thought it appropriate to post my response here, where others could read as well. I merely wanted to go through some points that so many LDS people seem to forget quickly when something as small in the eternal scheme of things, as a single US election, doesn’t go the way they wanted it:
- Jesus taught a doctrine of optimism, faith, hope, Charity, and love, and so do his modern prophets. I feel very little love, hope, faith, etc, in most of the posts that I’ve seen coming from many of my conservative Mormon friends. In fact (I hate to use these words, but I don’t know how else to describe it), I feel mostly fear, hatred, doubt, despair, and even a lot of fear-mongering. As such, I feel that regardless of the validity of concerns, Satan is using them to make us into anything but the hopeful, loving follower’s Christ asks us to be.
- God is still on his throne, and my testimony isn’t based on who is President or whether this country leans right or left.
- Communism is evil, we’re clear on that, however it’s not the only evil in the world, nor is it the only threat to the constitution of the US. I’m amazed at how completely focused so many can become on things with Socialist tendencies, and completely ignore all the other threats to the Constitution that are out there. For example Obama continued (and congress supported) Patriot Act policies that allow Law Enforcement officials to grab a US Citizen on US Soil and lock them up indefinitely, without trial. This clearly violates the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 8th Amendments. Yet Romney said he supported the President and would continue the same. If Romney had won, this shredding of the Constitution would not have changed in the least. No reparations would have been done. Some of our most basic rights are shredded, but “it’s okay because Romney’s a Mormon?” I don’t think so.
- The point is there’s too little difference between the political candidates of either party for election of one to really reverse the trend. The issue should be the moral decay of society as a whole, not simply a trend toward socialism. And elections don’t reverse that, preaching the gospel does.
- We must stop demonizing those who “lean-left” in their political beliefs. Well beloved Apostle N. Eldon Tanner worked in overtly-socialist programs in Canada and made them work very well. It seems fairly clear he believed in many socialist programs. Marion G. Romney (cousin of Mitt), also very loved, ran and was elected as a Democrat in local government. Even recent 1st Presidency member James E. Faust was a registered Democrat. If you’re going to cast hate upon those who differ from Elder Benson (he was an Apostle when he said all those things I keep seeing quoted, and stopped completely when he became the Prophet), you must includes at least those 3 fine Brethren. In fact, you’ll have to include most of the Apostles and Prophets who have served over the last 70+ years, as almost none of them completely agreed with him, and in fact many expressed much concern over his extreme positions.
- Follow the Prophets: our modern prophets just opened the floodgates to allow more missionaries to preach the gospel throughout the world than ever before. They’re not being timid, packing up and heading for the hills or preaching doom and gloom. They’re moving God’s work forward with unprecedented optimism and vigor. We should do the same.
One election matters very little in the eternal scheme of things, God is still on his Throne, and Jesus Christ is still our Lord, Master, and the Head of our Church.
UPDATE: the following quote was posted by a family friend on Facebook. I thought it applicable.
Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations in all the world. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won’t fail. I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.
I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through.
—Harold B. Lee (Ye Are the Light of the World 350-51)
Sad to admit I really needed to hear this. Thanks for the great post!
Also, “Mormon’s”in the title shouldn’t have the apostraphe. #punctuationNazi
I don't know if anyone will read this but in General Conference we were warned about being zealots and fanatics in our beliefs, all beliefs. Fear mongering is wrong, and just because I lean a little left does not mean I am a Communist. Tevya is right, there are other things to be upset about that are hurting us worse than Obama being President. And there was no guarantee that Romney would have been a good President just because he is a Mormon. I know many Mormons who appear to be good members on Sunday but the other six days they give the Church a bad name. And how interesting that Obama was impressed with Romney enough to consider a position for Romney to help streamline government spending, and Romney is caught showing his true character by accusing Obama of buying votes with government money to win the election.
If people are so afraid of socialism, which the country is already socialistic, then fight to get rid of Social Security (which is abused), fight to get rid of Medicaid and Medicare, public libraries, public fire departments, public schools, and replace it all with private companies. Then see how many people can't afford to pay to have their house saved from a fire, can't pay to read books and use resources, can't survive with a disability, can not afford to send their children to private schools. Let's see how good that will be for our country. Privatize wildland firefighting and disaster clean up and see how many can not afford to have their houses rebuilt and can not pay the private fire company to protect their neighborhoods. If you want a truly democratic country then fight to remove all the social programs that exist. Then we will see how this country will fare. I guarantee that the country will fall apart and the rich will truly get richer. What is sad is that Mormons can't accept anyone who believes differently regardless of the subject. Attacking other members who are not Republican is not Christ like. Heber J. Grant was a Democrat. If being a Democrat is so bad then why did God allow these Democrat General Authorities to be General Authorities. If God cared about that these men would have never been called to the high positions because after all, they are called by Divine inspiration.
If you are going to compare Democrats 40+ years ago today. You might as well say they are the todays GOP. When you look at JFK he would be disowned by DNC standards today.
Now on to the election. You said look at ones record. Give what both of them have done before they ran for office. You don't have much Mr Obama. At least Romney has been a person in command. They both have their flaws. I have spent as much time researching listing to left and right talk radio. Listing to them both lie to push their cause. The only issues I have is the all the little things have added up over the last 6 years. The cover up his pass and no questions being asked. What I loved about the media when Mr. Bush was president was that they never gave up on him or gave him a break. I can see the media giving Mr Obama a pass on something things that happen. Just look at the whole golf thing. We have lost more troops under him and he has played golf over 100 times. That is more than I have my whole life. it is just a shame they both didn't receive the type of scrutiny.
I do agree one should attack one because of their political views. Not make an excuse but people seem to expect it. I don't talk politics if a person can be civil and if i can't i have to excuse myself. to me that is more embarrassing. The political discourse in this country is horrible.
On a positive note, we have been promised that Christ Church will never leave the earth till the second coming. To me this gives great hope till we meet again. That we must not judge but only in Righteous Judgment.
Comparing Democrats Marion G. Romney and James E. Faust to today’s Democrats is beyond absurd and shows what little research you did for your blog. Do you expect us to believe that Elders Romney and Faust supported abortion, homosexuality, the weakening of our national defense, the coddling of criminals, the added burden of oppressive taxes, the government takeover of our health care system, the anti-Christian fomentation of society and many other unholy practices of today’s Democrats?! Sorry. We’re not stupid. Go try that tripe on those idiotic Obama voters. As for me, I’ll stay focused on the stone cut out of the mountain without hands that will soon — and mercifully — destroy this and all other governments of man and usher in Reign of Christ.
Not all Democrats today support all the things you mention. You’re labeling, and from what I can tell, pretty hateful toward all Democrats. Who’s anti-Christian? Perhaps you should re-read President Lee’s quote that’s featured at the end of the post. He was among the more conservative Brethren that have served in the last 50 years.